UM-Western Web Registration System (DAWGS)
Registrations via the Internet or web registration on DAWGS, UMW's on-line student information/registration system is available to:
Current students (or, if between terms, those individuals who were actively enrolled during the immediately preceding term)*
Newly admitted students who have been notified by the Montana Western Admissions Office that they are cleared to register
* individuals with "holds" on their records are not eligible to utilize web registration services via DAWGS.
If you experience problems with DAWGS, please contact the Montana Western Registrar's Office at (406)683-7370 or toll-free at (866)869-6668.
Registering for classes via DAWGS is an easy process if you follow the simple instructions below. A word of advice before you begin the actual registration process, be sure to have your class schedule planned including appropriate course titles, department codes, course numbers and course reference numbers (CRNs).
Class Schedule Information
Check the Class Schedules for information on course times, CRN numbers and descriptions. With your completed worksheet, you will want to log onto the Secure Area. You will be asked to enter your User ID Number and your PIN Number (see below). Remember that once you log on to the Secure Area you will be disconnected if 5 minutes pass without any entry.
To begin the on-line web registration process, access an internet browser, Internet Explorer works best for using DAWGS. Remember, if you enter any invalid data, the system alerts you to the error and prompts you for the correct information. After you add courses, drop courses or change any course options, you must click "Submit Changes". If you log out before you Submit Changes, changes will not take effect. If you have questions about the system or encounter problems with DAWGS, call the Registration Help Line at (406)683-7370.
How to Use Web Registration
- Click on Login to Secure Area at the http://dawgs.umwestern.edu/ site.
- Follow the directions on the screen to enter your ID number and your PIN. Initially, your PIN is your birthdate in mmddyy format; for example, 060770 is June 7, 1970. Click Login. [Students entering DAWGS for the first time will be required to change their PIN (for security reasons). Choose a new number and enter it when prompted; the system will ask you to enter a "hint" question and answer which serves as a reminder in case you forget your new PIN.]
- Re-enter your PIN and click Login again.
- At the Main Menu, click on Student Registration.
- At Student Registration click Registration.
- At Registration, click on Add/Drop Classes.
- Select the appropriate Term option when prompted, then click Submit Term.
- Enter your Alternate PIN - your advisor has this number - when prompted.
- Follow the directions on the screen to enter the course request numbers (CRNs) of the courses you wish take. Click on Submit Changes after you've entered all CRNs or made all changes you want to your term class schedule. FYI - To Drop a class (if necessary), go back to the Add/Drop Classes screen and click on the arrow to the left of the course you want to drop, select withdraw or drop from the pull-down menu, then click on Submit Changes.
- DAWGS comes with a course search option/capability; you can search for classes via a variety options including "course times" and/or "instructor"; familiarize yourself with this system for possible future reference.
- If you wish to change from traditional letter grading to audit or to enter a specific number of credits if you are attempting to register for a variable-credit course, click on the menu in the upper right corner to return to the Registration menu. Click on Change Class Options. Click the arrow to the right of the appropriate class and select Audit for example. Finally click Submit Changes.
- Use the Menu button (upper right corner of any screen in DAWGS) to move around quickly and easily in DAWGS.
To end the registration process, click on Exit in the top right corner of the screen and then Return to Homepage. To ensure that no one can get back to your information, always exit from the browser you are using.